Thursday, February 13, 2014

Relaxing - more difficult than it seems

After 2 weeks of constant running around and activity, I am finding it very difficult to actually stop and relax for holidays.  I know I need the break, but when I do take the time to essentially do nothing but read and chill out, I feel horribly guilty!  I'm on a small island east of Phuket - Koh Yao Noi.  It's a tiny island that is 95% Muslim fishermen and their families.  There is nothing exciting here at all - no big resorts, no loud bars, do downtown strip with shops and restaurants and throngs of tourists.  The beaches are pristine and virtually devoid of tourists of any sort - no beach umbrellas, no hawkers walking up and down the beaches trying to sell you everything from food to random trinkets.  It's paradise lost - what other islands in and around Phuket were once like 10-15 years ago.  It's the perfect island getaway!  Except I'm having a very difficult time giving in to island life and simply stopping and relaxing.  So far, my day goes like this:  get up, go for a 5-8 km run, shower, breakfast, wander around the island on my motorcycle, sunbathe and read, have lunch, relax/watch movies, and then train at 5pm til 7pm, supper and then bed.  YThe food here is incredible, lots of very fresh seafood, so finding an excellent meal is never an issue!  Yesterday, I came into my room after lunch and started to watch a movie and promptly fell asleep at 1:30pm until almost 5pm.  I suspect that the last few weeks have caught up with me, but I woke up feeling very guilty for sleeping during the day!  And that I had slept through the start of training.  I know that I shouldn't feel this way, but it's hard to free yourself of the idea that you should be doing something productive all the time. 




1 comment:

  1. You need to start training on how to relax... It is a learned skill... Now buckle down and chill!

    ReplyDelete